Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Have a horrible Halloween!

I hate Halloween. I always have. I guess maybe when I was very little, I enjoyed all the candy. But then my mother forced me to wear the Aunt Jemima costume she made for me (she spent a whole lot of time and effort making incredible costumes for us!), and that has sort of stuck with me. Now as a mother - an uncreative, unsewing mother - I dislike Halloween for other reasons. First, I couldn't make a costume to save my life. Second, my kids ALWAYS ended up having to bring treats for the Halloween party at school. Third, living on a farm means I have to go into town and spend the day either carting kids around to beg for food, waiting for them to show up after they've been out begging for food, or crossing my fingers that they haven't been up to any tricks/been caught doing any tricks. All in all, it's just a bad day for me. So I hope everyone else has a horrible Halloween, too.

Besides, there are more important things to think about than some pagan holiday. Like football. Or hockey. The Rebels beat Loreburn last Saturday in the 1A provincial quarter-final play-off game. There was a team brunch, a motivational speech from the head ref (!), fireworks, mega people, and a huge 50/50 prize. All in all, a great day. The team is off to Southey on Saturday for the semi-final game. Should they win that, they will host the final game on November 10 - the day of my cousin's wedding. Wouldn't want to make things too easy. I'll be glad when football is over. Adam is getting a bit worn out. Yesterday he had morning and afternoon football practice and an evening hockey practice. He was wiped!

Stephen's hockey team has yet to win a game. He got his cast off yesterday, so we'll see how that goes. He's played the last four games (if you count the one he got thrown out of !) with the cast on, but you could tell it was hard for him to pass and shoot accurately.

Derek's team has started practicing, and will host a tournament this weekend. It is his first year of checking, but I don't think he'll have much problem with it. He has been defending himself from his big brothers for years now, and can dish it out to match. His team looks strong again this year, so it could be another fun year. I'm torn between watching Derek's first game of the season and going with Stephen to Battleford on Friday in case they finally win a game.

Check in later to find out what happens!
Chandra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the provincial football game on the 10th so-- go Adam and team.
Farewell Colin and family. We wish you happiness in New Brunswick once again.
Happy hockey days and nights ahead for the Schraefel family, it seems. Can't wait to see some games.
Gramma