Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Is there anything BUT hockey?

There's an old country song that twangs, "Well, life on the farm is kinda laid back..."  Ha!  He ain't been on this farm!

Went to three hockey games in the last four days, one of which was nearly in Manitoba, and I swear my butt, while never terribly attractive anyway, is now permanently conformed to the shape of a bleacher.  I guess I'm just lucky I take my own padding wherever I go, since we have four more games to watch before Adam, Stephen and I get on a plane to Rome.

The Pee Wees easily handled Conquest (7 - 2) last night in Elrose in game one of the Provincial finals.   I heard one of our cheering grandmas comment that this series isn't going to be a cakewalk like the others have been.  I want some of what she is on.  I am predicting a bit of a massacre on Friday when Conquest returns.

The Midgets finally lost a game this year.  Unfortunately it was game one of their Provincial finals!  That was in Redvers - an 8 hour one-way trip, folks.  And that's only if your bus doesn't break down in Regina on the way.  Long, expensive story, but we did get to Redvers and back.  Redvers is here on Saturday, and the boys are certain they can overcome the 2 goal deficit and become Provincial champs. Should be a good game if you're in the area!  Or you could take in one of the league final games, in Wilkie tonight and back in Kerrobert on Monday!  Hockey, hockey, hockey!

For a bit of a diversion, we had Music Festival in Luseland in the middle of all the hockey.  I have been playing piano for the Community Choir there (my flat butt fits so well on the piano bench!) and was hurrying to my beloved hometown for their performance in the festival, when I decided to slow down and pull over.  Actually, that decision was quite easy to make when I saw the red and blue flashing lights in the rear-view mirror.  At any rate, I met the Luseland police officer, who was very polite and who asked me if I was in a hurry.  I replied that yes, indeed, I was, for there was a group of old people waiting for me to accompany them.   After inspecting my license, he asked if I was Adam Schraefel's mother.  I got a sinking feeling in my gut, and figured I was pretty much hooped at that point.  But no, he just said he hadn't seen Adam around much lately (good thing), and that he would let me go with a warning (really good thing!)  After a little chitchat about the moose in and around Luseland (didn't he hear me when I said I was late???), I continued on my way.  And the choir performed wonderfully at the festival.

So that's about it for now.  I likely won't be back here until after we return home for Europe, so take care and thanks for checking in!
Chandra

No comments: